Bow thrusters anyone?

Welcome Back Forums Propulsion Steering and Rudder Bow thrusters anyone?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stella Scot
    Participant

A quich Hello from Copenhagen:-) We have just been discussing, that we rarely se any nic 38 with bow thrusters for sale. Of course they have their have their advantages and disadvantages (+ when coming into a small port) (- price, drag, other)

So, anyone got one…?

Best regards
    Kenneth, “Stella Scot”

Kuchenbuch
    Participant

Hi Kenneth,
    after 13 years in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea we sailed home to Kiel Bay in the Baltic sea. As you have mentioned, the habours in the Baltic sea, especially in Danmark and Sweden are beautiful, but they are very narrow and cramped. Together with crosswind it is somethimes very complicated to enter or leave the small boxes.
    Therefore the same question 1 1/2 year later:
    Is there anybody, who has built in a bow propeller/bowthruster, has information on this issue or is interested in installing a bowsthruster?
    We will do it!
    Kind regards
    Hans-Henning
    “Roede Orm” Hull #103

michael bennett
    Participant

Hello Hans,

I am also in the Mediterranean, and have been considering a bow thruster for some time, usually when I am reversing to a pontoon!
    Have you considered what size you would use and the method of powering it?
    I already have heavy cables going forward for the anchor winch, but the current for a thruster would be about double, so either double up the cables or set up my batteries switchable to 24v just for the thruster, reducing the current by half. I am not considering batteries forward purely for the purpose.
    Would be interested in your ideas.
    Mike

John Tyler
    Participant

There is an Atlantic 40 in my Yacht club with a bow thruster. I will ask about it. It is on the hard & I know the owner by sight.

The above was in 2014-ish

I never got a bow thruster [as above] but recently [Aug 2021]I had a problem getting out of the marina, so spoke to a local chap whose full keel boat was on our slip [Poole Y C] He told me about his bowthruster. Type = SE 60/185.

Price was approx £3k fitted locally. He said it is great & even has a remote operating device.

michael bennett
    Participant

Many thanks

Mike

Gerhard M
    Participant

Hi Guys
    my AYLA has one and I am very happy having it, as I sail mostly single handed
    Gerhard

Admin
    Keymaster

Harlequin has a Sleipner bow thruster and I find it essential when reversing into a mooring singlehanded in the med. You have no steering in reverse on the Nic38 and the slightest cross-wind can make things really interesting.

Had a problem with the bow thruster one season – it was the first thing on my list to get fixed the following winter 🙂

Andy

Hi dear all,

I’m thinking to install a bowthruster.
    I kindly ask if anyone having it fitted can help with some topics.

-If it interferes much with hydrodinamic

-Where is it placed.

– Model, Power and tunnel diameter

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

João

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.