Bowman Heat Exchanger

Welcome Back Forums Propulsion Engine Bowman Heat Exchanger

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Czarina Blue
    Participant

Bowman Heat Exchanger End Cap Nut.
    My 1972 Heat exchanger ( the kind which is mounted across the front of the engine, which combines oil cooler, refrigerant cooler and header tank) has had its end cap nut fail. It sheared creating an overheat as raw water poured out of the port side end of the heat exchanger. The nut had become pink, weakened by corrosion , and just sheared. The male thread of the Tie rod seems fine. Other than getting one fabricated by a bronze machinist, does anyone have any leads on where parts may be found? I have emailed Bowman UK but not sure they do this model anymore, judging by their website. Otherwise I guess it’s Ebay, breakers yards, or fabricators…

I’m on a remote island in Panama, about to attempt epoxy cold weld and a couple of nylon ratchet straps to get me back to civilisation. Do you think nylon webbing would melt in contact with the heat exchanger block? I think prob not if I keep the revs low. I can sail most of the way, but entering the marina without engine wouldn’t be fun!
    Any ideas or leads appreciated. Photos attached. Part 9 is what I’m looking for, it is a bolt with threaded female sleeve that connects with part no 7 tie rod’s male thread looks about half inch.

Czarina Blue
    Participant
    Czarina Blue
    Participant
    Czarina Blue
    Participant

The green heat exchanger is just a reference photo, mine is the blue one.

Keymaster

I would check with these people. This page is a for a bowman end cap, but it doesn’t look like yours.

Parts4Engines.com

I have sent them photos of things I am looking for, and they have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

I’m keen to learn what you end up doing. We have the same heat exchanger, so will be subject to the same problem. We did have the heat exchanger apart about 10 years ago – I don’t recall any problems then.

Marilyn

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.