Aft cabin conversion

Welcome Back Forums Deck and Hull Interior outfitting Aft cabin conversion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone, I am looking at purchasing a Nic 38. Being a novice on Nicholsons I thought what better way to learn a bit than ask the people who own and work on them. I have seen a couple of photos of one I am thinking about going to look at and it shows a couple of single berths in the aft cabin. I read somewhere that someone had converted this into a double cabin. I was wondering how the new bed was orientated, if the sink was re/moved, and the general process that was followed. I was also wondering if people (couples), when at the dock, prefer to use the forward cabin, being close to the shower, salon, galley etc, or the aft cabin? Thanks in advance.
    Darren

Keymaster

Hi Darren –

The PO converted our aft cabin to one berth on the port side (oriented fore/aft). On the starboard side there are built-in drawers oriented fore/aft, with a bookshelf along the starboard hull. There is a seat just fwd of the bookshelf, so it makes a comfy second cabin for one person.

The berth can sleep two very friendly people, provided neither are claustrophobic. The forward wide end of the berth is about 50″ while the aft end is closer to 20″. The outer port side of the berth is under the deck, so there is not much height above the person along the hull. The berth is more pleasant for one person.

The aft sink was removed, and in its place is a little cabinet. The aft head was also removed – we now use the area as a hanging locker and tool storage.

Sorry, no photos available to show this aft cabin conversion.

When we are not underway, we sleep in the v-berth, which we converted to one large berth. This is a noisy area, being close to the chain locker and the mast – but it is a comfortable sleeping area for us.

If you want to see some various layouts, check out this posting that explains how to get a CD that has copies of drawings used for various layouts that CN delivered to customers.

Hope that helps –
    Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, I hope to have a look and see how this can be accomplished. Once we purchase one we hear we will have some friends to visit. It would be good to have another double berth to put them in rather than a couple of singles.
    Best regards
    Darren

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.