The swim ladder problem

Welcome Back Forums Gadgets and Gizmos Non-electronic gadgets The swim ladder problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Who has figured out how to add a good swim ladder so it’s possible to climb out of the water to the deck?

Where did you mount it?

Who made it? Since Rainshadow is in Seattle, we need a US supplier.

Thanks in advance –
    Marilyn (Moderator)
    PS – If you have photos, please email them to me and I will get them posted. Sorry I still haven’t made it possible for members to add their own photos to forum topics.

Voltair
    Participant

Even with the very low freeboard of the 38 at the gates, we have not found a good ladder that I recommend to our crew/guests. My co-owner risks life and limb using a hook-over dinghy ladder hooked over the toe rail at the gate, but I only ever use this on the back of our dinghy and then climb up on to the yacht from there. We also have a horrible dark-blue coloured concertina ladder made of plastic with hull-holdoffs located by detents in the rungs. My co-owner won’t let me throw it away, but I won’t let anyone use it when I am skippering.

Keymaster

Jeff of Sea Eagle (formerly Lady Jane K) sent me this photo showing the stern swim ladder that the PO installed.
    Stern ladder on Sea Eagle.
    I notice that the stern rail has also been modified so there is a gate. Interesting idea – but with out Monitor wind vane and other accessories hanging of the stern, that won’t work for us.

Thanks for sending Jeff. This is helpful.

Keymaster

I captured another image of a swim ladder mounted on a Nic 38 stern (As shown by seller when Glennie hull #120 was for sale).

Swim ladder aboard Glennie

Same idea as Jeff’s – custom standoffs to hold ladder out from stern.

Marilyn, moderator

michael bennett
    Participant

I have a hook over ladder, used mainly for in and out of dingy, very difficult, for me anyway, to get on board from the water (unless like we had a very agile young lady who put bothe her feet on the bottom rung and stood up on it)
    I have hung rope steps under it but still unsatisfactory.
    Jeffs ladder looks to short also, I wonder if he has used it in Cardiff marina.
    Any ladders others have which are longer would love to hear about.

Rhapsode
    Participant

We had one of these which we put on the side of the boat by the “gates” in the guard wires. Very solid and easy to use.

http://www.boardingladders.us/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/05/3-step-2.jpg

It fits in the lazarette when not in use

Suala
    Participant

I have a stainless steel folded ladder that loops over the side amidships on the starboard side. It has ball fittings that hook into stainless steel eyes screwed onto the deck. The ladder is easily unhooked and removed folded and stored when not in use. It hangs below the waterline when in place and has two rubber covered support stops under the water that stabilize the steps against the side of the yacht. It is easy to climb up and down and is stable under weight. I was under the impression that the steps were original and came with the yacht. The steps are flat plastic with anti-slip grooves.

I can send a photo when I return to the yacht next week if you wish.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.