Spinnaker dimensions?

Welcome Back Forums Propulsion Sails Spinnaker dimensions?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

{As moderator, I am posting a copy of this that was emailed to the group, so that any answers are archived here.)

We were truly enjoying a fine breeze on the Neuse River in North Carolina on Monday. We had set our repaired Spinnaker with the breeze almost dead behind us. Well after rounding Minnosott Point the breeze moved nearly a beam. Being a bit rusty at flying a 25 year old spinnakers there were a few pops and then a seam or two opened up. Nearly half of the sail was soon behind us. Anyway would anyone have a suggestion on dimensions for a full spinnaker for our Nick 38’s. This one came with the boat when bought her in ’86. I’m a die hard hanking on our geny, lifting the CQR and no stack pack.
    Thanks
    George Nauman

Keymaster

Our Nic 38 came with an old, but barely used, North Sails Gennaker, which is an assymetrical cruising spinnaker. The bag says it is for a Landfall 35, so it wasn’t custom made for the Nic 38. But I can tell you it works pretty well.

We measured its dimensions to be:
    38′ leach, 41.4′ luff, 21.5′ foot

The as-designed Nic 38 Sail plan doesn’t give dimensions for a spinnaker, but does say the fabric wt should be 1.5oz nylon, as expected.

Marilyn and Van – Rainshadow hull #126

Suala
    Participant

I have an article of Yachting World October 93 of Chihilli 11 Hull number 119 (initially Circle of Waldringfield)owned then by South African Ludi and Eleanor Luchner. she sailed with a spinnaker and mizzen staysail off the wind doing 7 knots in apparent wind of 15 knots. She had an extra 5feet added to her mast and three feet to her mizzen mast. 130 deg genoa. What sort of performance can one expect from a cruising chute added to a standard rigging?Any personal experience to share?.

Chihili Q
    Participant

Chihilli II is now Chihilli Q and indeed she has extended masts (both just now reinstated with new wiring which had turned to dust apparently) so I imagine my spinnaker and crusing chute dimensions are of little use to anybody else.

Chris
    Participant

I have a relationship with a sail maker and was thinking about having an asymetrical chute made. Does anyone know what dimensions might be appropriate? My spars are the original length, I believe. — Chris

Suala
    Participant

I had my Cruising Chute made by Crusader Sails in Poole. I went for the 170%LP rather than the 180%LP http://www.crusadersails.com will have all the info you require. 35′ – 50′ is the size of yacht that my chute dimensions were based on. I have only used it three times since receiving it and have found it to be most enjoyable on each of the occasions used. It sits well and is most beautiful to behold. Crusader make each chute according to the yacht and provide you with a palette in which you can select the colours per panel.http://www.magicpalette.crusadersails.co.uk/Designer.aspx?ID=74da14 is the link for the palette. Their snuffler works well and does not tangle as some other designs apparently do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.