Snow Star for sale

Welcome Back Forums Sell and Trade For Sale or Free Snow Star for sale

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Phil Shotton
    Participant

I see Snow Star is for sale in Essex as a damaged project – http://www.rightboat.com/boats-for-sale/nicholson/38-damaged-project/rb237950

Very sad. Does anyone have any more information? The advert is very sparse.

Thanks

Phil

Keymaster

I learned this from Tom Riding, her owner.

Her mooring parted some few metres below the water on the same stormy late September day that saw a cruise ship break her moorings at Greenock Ocean Terminal, some 3 – 4 miles upstream from Gourock where Snow Star was moored. She (Snow Star) quickly crossed to the north bank of the Clyde and parked herself on a rocky shore close by Kilcreggan pier. By the time the salvage crew were able to get her off (a few days later) she was in a sorry mess on the starboard side, with a hole in the hull and sea water inside.

As I understand it, the insurance company settled and made arrangements for Snow Star to have a chance at a second life – hence she is for sale as a project boat.

I wish the best for everyone involved, and I feel for your loss, Tom.

Marilyn, moderator

Simon Lister
    Participant

I have now purchased Snow Star and have started a full repair and refit. Thanks and commiserations to Tom Riding for advising on the circumstances of her stranding.

She has returned to Scotland and is now in a large shed being dried out ready for survey.

I’ll post photos and updates where they might be of interest in due course.

Simon

Keymaster

Congratulations to both Tom (for having his boat rescued) and Simon (for being the rescuer). I have updated the Member Directory accordingly.

I look forward to learning more about Snow Star’s refit project. Best wishes to you both.

marilyn, moderator

Johan Schoeman
    Participant

It would be great to see an update on how Snow Star’s restoration went and where she is now.

I am a past owner of Snow Star and was sad to see that she got so badly damaged.  But it is equally wonderful to see that she got a second chance.  Thanks @Simon!

I’d be happy to contribute further information and some of her history.

Johan

Simon Lister
    Participant

Hi Johan

Snow Star is alive and well, based at Rhu Marina on the Clyde. I have completed a full refit – hull repaired and repainted, interior dismantled and rebuilt. All windows and hatches dismantled and rebuilt. Engine and gearbox out overhauled and running nicely. Completely rewired.  Etc

We are enjoying getting to know her and are delighted with her performance under sail and engine. She is the ideal boat for the west coast of Scotland.

Delighted to learn more of her history when you get a chance.

Simon

Johan Schoeman
    Participant

Hi Simon

It is wonderful to hear that you completed the restoration and that she is shipshape and Bristol fashion again. Thank you.  May you enjoy sailing her far and wide for a long time!

As a 1973 boat, she was ordered before VAT was introduced, but delivered after. That led to her soon changing hands and she was then bought by a John Stackpool from the Wirral. He took her to the Med where she spent many years.

In late 1990 we bought her when she was in Split in the former Yugoslavia. We sailed her out of Split early 1991 just weeks before the marina was bombed and most boats there were destroyed. She arrived back in Poole via Gibraltar mid-summer. During the first week there a big storm came through and that weekend we found her sitting on the bottom with water ankle-deep inside. We understood that the stern gland had failed after the long trip, though the surveyors were not too sure. She spent the next 9 months ashore at Cobb’s Quay having a dry-out and complete refit with a new engine, new electrics and electronics, heater, cushions, etc. We also changed her from roller reefing to slab reefing and replaced most of the tired sails. We added a spinnaker and a mule.

Then followed 15 delightful years of sailing all over the south coast, from London and the Channel ports down to Bordeaux and up to Ireland. We took part in about a dozen Round the Island Races, doing remarkably well in her class. She’s deceptively fast when there’s a lot of sail up.

Circumstances changed allowing Tom to become her next owner while we had her moored in Cherbourg. The rest is history you’re probably more familiar with than me.

I still have a few of the original papers, manuals, C&N drawings and sail plans, etc that I can scan or send to you. The original Avon dinghy tender (built like a tank and set up for the davits) has been in my garage loft for many years – though it’s probably beyond use by now.

I’ll try to upload a couple of photos. The one at anchor is at Hvar near Split. The other is near the Needles on either the first or second RTIR showing all the sails including the mule in action.

Enjoy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.