Blister repair report, and wetted area question (former email exchange)

Welcome Back Forums Deck and Hull Hull bottom and topsides Blister repair report, and wetted area question (former email exchange)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Aat Ruts said:
    am glad to let you know my Panta Rhei is in the water again after being treated against osmosis. They started in November 2009. And finally it was ready two weeks ago. The hull was peeled off about 0,8 millimeters. International Paint recommend an extra layer of fibreglass and resin. 8 layers of Gelshield were put on to stop osmosis coming back. Two layers of antifouling.
    It sails perfect and even with 5kn of wind it really sails. Better than before. I will send you the last photographs very soon.
    I have the idea they did a good job.

The total cost, however, will be around 15.000 euro’s which is quite something !.
    On the final invoice, I received from the yard, I noticed that for the calculation they used a wetted area of 35 square meters excl. the rudder. They charge for the rudder seperately, because the rudder seems to have some problems. I will discuss this next week.
    Jeremy told me already in January the wetted area is about 350-370 sq.ft. incl the rudder.Is there anyone who has measured the area more precisely ?
    Based on the calculation every square meter is about 450 euro’s, so one sq.m less is something.
    I would highly appreciate your information on this.

Chihili Q
    Participant

I have no blisters, fortunately; Chihili Q was treated with International Paint Gelshield by her previous owner. However, my topsides have various scratches and one somewhat crazed area under her overhang from a minor impact, I presume. Previous repairs have been completed with varying shades of white gelcoat; is anyone able to advise whether all Nic 38 white yachts had some particular coded or named white tint? Mine was built in 1973 so presumably the archives might show this info?

Cheers, Adrian.

Chihili Q
    Participant

A chap from East Coast Fibreglass Supplies says send in a bit of hull and he can do a colour chart check. Simples.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.