Vang/kicking strap

Welcome Back Forums Rigging Standing Rigging Vang/kicking strap

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Graeme Barrie
    Participant

Repairs to #27 are going well, she’s watertight and primed, just waiting for the weather to give us a chance to get the topcoat on.  I’m now looking to some of the other works required and fancy going for a solid vang rather than kicker and topping lift.  So, what have you guys done?  Which ones work and what are the problems?

Any help is good!

Thanks

Czarina Blue
    Participant

It is not exactly a solid vang in the sense of a hydraulic piston, but along with my kicker tackle I have used a Barton boom strut and it works well at supporting the boom and keeping it off the cockpit roof if the topping lift fails or is forgotten. Also it is in keeping with the gold spars in the sense that its cream coloured nylon rods and anodised fittings are not grey aluminium which clashes with the gold, but that is personal aesthetics! Depends on your other spars of course. I used the largest rod kit from Barton, on my slab reefing mainsail with slightly heavy ex- Sailtainer boom. I believe their medium length rods would also suffice.

racepassage
    Participant

Good day,

On refitting prior to ‘off shore’ installed a Gaurhauer solid boom vang.

Just the job as it does away with the topping lift which I left in case of requiring a lift and having  one mainmast winch handy.

Oh-one thing, unsure if available in Europe!

Cheers

Keymaster

NB. This post is from Roger of Race Passage. I added photos to it for him. Moderator

Good day,

On refitting prior to ‘off shore’ installed a Gaurhauer solid boom vang.

Just the job as it does away with the topping lift which I left in case of requiring a lift and having  one mainmast winch handy.

Oh-one thing, unsure if available in Europe!

Cheers

Vang on Race Passage

As attached to mast

Attachment to mast

Van
    Participant

Roger, what model Gaurhauer did you use?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.