Teak deck pic for angelson

Welcome Back Forums Deck and Hull Deck and deck fittings Teak deck pic for angelson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ronar M
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I have found a better picture of Ronar’s decks after the treatment I outlined in my previous posting. When we first had her my wife washed down the decks as I described and then treated the teak with a brightening system (marketed in the UK as ‘Teak Wonder’). This was a three day job done in 2007 but every year since the decks have just needed a wash down with soap and water followed by a reapplication of the Teak Wonder UV resistant sealant to come up as you see in the picture.

The Teak Wonder system has 3 parts: a red liquid which cleans the wood, a green liquid which brightens it and a sealant which prevents it discolouring again. We have not had to use the red and green stuff since 2007 (except in really a few dirty areas) but have to use the sealant (2 coats) every year. We think it’s a good system and worth the effort.

Cheers, Trevor
    5vg5u-Sailing-Easter-07-010.jpg

michael bennett
    Participant

Hello Trevor,

I appreciate your reply, will look into the Teak Wonder it sounds ideal, and you have had good results with it.

My deck is pretty good, just a few small problem areas requiring maintenance, as the deck is glued directly to the main deck which is a single laminate with no core unlike the coach roof which has balsa and ply core, lends itself to being mechanically fixed with screws where required.

To be honest I was a little hurried into considering a new deck, besides the cost of course. The surface of mine is a little irregular, nothing drastic just some of the seams a little above the teak, have you or would you consider a careful sanding as a first step before using the TW.

Many thanks

Mike

michael bennett
    Participant

Ronar, She looks great…

Ronar M
    Participant

Hi Mike,

No I would be very loathe to carry out any general sanding if you can avoid it. Instead you might wrap a little sand paper around a narrow block of wood and very carefully work along the seam. If the seams stick up above the teak a lot (not a problem I have had) you could try very careful removal with a very sharp tool. Maybe a plane iron would be good as it is wide and could not dig into the teak.

I have remembered that there is an American alternative to Teak Wonder called Semco. We started with that but found that TW is just as good and somewhat cheaper.

Good luck, Trevor

Ronar M
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I’m sure you realise that I mean you should take the iron out of the plane before using it on the seams.

Cheers, Trevor

michael bennett
    Participant

Hi Trevor,

Yes I did realise about the plane,they, the seams are not a problem and only a small amount proud, better they there I feel, but many thanks for you help I am home now and already preparing for a return early/mid January.

Mike

Ronar M
    Participant

Hi Mike

Yes the upstanding seams could take the wear off the teak.

Trevor

michael bennett
    Participant

Hello Trevor

I have located Teak Wonder from Marine Store (01621 854280) I can get 4 ltrs of cleaner for £29.00, same for brightener, the sealer is 1 ltr. for £20.00

They also have combo packs of cleaner and brightener, a litre of each for £18.00, also sealer same price.

You said you only used the cleaner and brightener once in 2007, and an annual two applications of the sealer.
    Not sure of the coverage, would 2 litres of each, cleaner and brightener be enough, also how much does two coats of sealer use, would order enough of it for initial sealing work and for a couple of years in the way you recommend.

Regards
    Mike

Ronar M
    Participant

HI Mike,

2L each of the cleaner and brightener will probably be enough depending on how dirty the wood is. I know my wife uses both watered down a little for annual touch up once the deck is basically clean. I’m afraid the sealer is used in greater quantities. I usually have to buy a 5L can of the sealer, say, twice in 3 years. In other words we use just over 3L a year.

Cheers, Trevor

michael bennett
    Participant

Hi Trevor,

Many thanks, I will follow your guidelines on usage.

Best wishes

Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.