Rudder Post.

Welcome Back Forums Propulsion Steering and Rudder Rudder Post.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    racepassage
    Participant

Rudder Post.
    Has anyone removed the deck plate to allow access to the rudder head.
    Although to date I have not had a problem with the steering mechanism should there not be a bearing there and if so should it not be greased.
    Any thoughts please

John Tyler
    Participant

Re rudder head:
    I’d also like to know of anyone who has lifted the deck plate & if so does anyone know of an emergency tiller fitting that goes on the top of the rudder head on the Nic 38?

Pat
    Participant

Hi I have removed the deck plate the rudder head has a square just below deck level. Sea Thrift came with an emergency tiller made out of round section tube suitably curved and with a square in the end. I have tried this tiller in place and the Nics rudder feels pretty big! Not sure what the upper bearing is made of but I have not lubricated mine yet. Hope this helps. Pat

Chihili Q
    Participant

I’m puzzled.. I have a port to access the top of the rudder stock, and fit my emergency tiller with a square socket onto it’s suitably square profile. I have indeed had the stern deck lifted and reconstituted, but there was no need to do so in order to find the top of the rudder stock! Have you not got such a port?

Water was coming through my emergency access port since it didn’t have a seal when I purchased Chihili Q. But I now find the majority of water was actually coming through the delaminated timbers of my teak stern hatch, which probably contributed to the degradation of my aft deck as much as anything else, and going sideways then dripping down the aft cabin berth walls. I suspected this previously but obviously dealt with the problem inexpertly; later this year I intend to do something more radical, but as a temporary measure I have lined the edges of the laminated timbers forming the edge of my hatchway with wonderful modern roofing and building material: breathable but waterproof. Amazing, for the first time in 6 years or so, I have a rather dry aft locker!! What’s more, I have a dry aft cabin: water was pouring through the sole seams, and when I cut away the small sloping piece of flooring that abuts the locker bulkhead with opening access to the lower rudder stock I found the channel responsible for conducting water into the bilge absolutely crammed and blocked with debris of wonderful variety. Previously I thought I had cleared it with the odd poke of wire etc, but I am beginning to much prefer the radical remedy.

Regards, Adrian.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.