Replacing the steering drag link and tie rod ends

Welcome Back Forums Propulsion Steering and Rudder Replacing the steering drag link and tie rod ends

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Here are the parts that allowed us to replace the drag link (tube) and tie rod ends (ball joints) that connect the Foreman steering box to the stub-tiller arm at the rudder post  – maybe Mathway steering box can use the same parts? These parts are available at auto parts stores.

Right hand thread tie rod end, male rod thread 3/4-16 – choose one:

• Moog Suspension part ES150R
    • Proforged Chassis part 104-10005
    • Any other manufacturer that fits a Ford P-350 years 1968-1974
    • This tie rod end does not come with a lock nut for the threaded rod, so buy a 3/4-16 RH nut separately. These are easily found.

Left hand threaded ball joint, male rod thread 3/4-16 – choose one:

• Moog Suspension part ES150L
    • Proforged Chassis part 104-10004
    • Any other manufacturer that fits a Ford P-350 years 1968-1974
    • This tie rod end does not come with a lock nut, so buy a 3/4-16 LH nut separately. These are not so common, but I found some on Amazon.

Drag link, ideally 12″ length but 13″ will do. Female thread 3/4-16. Some choices include:

• WEHRS Suspension Threaded Tubes WM750T12
    • Allstar Performance Aluminum Suspension Tubes ALL56512

It took considerable time to identify these replacement parts, so I hope sharing this information will save someone else time.

Here are some more details about how we determined these parts would fit.

We measured the taper of the original ball joints and determined:

• small taper diameter = 0.625″
    • large taper diameter = 0.700″
    • taper length (approx.) = 0.61″
    • calculated taper angle 7 degrees
    • drag link connection is male threaded rod 3/4-16, one end of drag link used right hand threaded tie rod end, other used left hand threaded tie rod end
    • Total length of assembly 17″
    • Tube length 12″

Then came the hard part of finding the tie rod ends and tube that met these spec. Auto stores want to know which vehicle before they can identify a part!

Finding this page was invaluable – Moog tie rod end dimensions

That page allows filtering of the dimensions by entering a value in the text box at the top of the column.  Notice the page does not give the taper length, nor the taper angle – so I had to just go with the small and large taper dimensions that would fit and hope the taper was correct. Also, many tie rod ends only come with a right hand thread version – I wanted both right and left hand threaded to be available with the same taper specs. This allowed me to find a range of tie rod ends that might work.

Then I went to auto supply websites to find the possible parts. From these websites, I could determine which vehicle uses the tie rod end and help me locate where parts were still available at a reasonable price.

One the tie rod ends were sourced, then I needed to find the drag link. The trick was to understand the item I wanted is known as a “threaded tube” on auto parts websites. This led me to the happy discovery that custom race cars need these things in a huge range of sizes, and they are very affordable. Plus I didn’t need to know which vehicle they fit!

I purchased my parts from Summit Racing and was very happy with their service and shipping times.

Marilyn

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.