Repacing hot water heater and stove US

Welcome Back Forums House Systems Galley Repacing hot water heater and stove US

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sailornick38
    Participant

Morning all,

I have decided to replace the original hot water heater and stove on Raga hull #123. Does anyone have have information on direct replacements for either in the US. Suggestion on replacements that worked nicely would be most helpful. We have kept Raga at the Blackbeard Sailing club just outside of New Bern, NC for the past 10 or so years.

Keymaster

We replaced our original Calor stove with a Dickinson Caribbean 2 burner stove. We like the function of the stove a lot – good heat and great control of flame.

However, we had to do some mods to the galley fiddle by the sink to get it to fit. I measured twice before buying – and thought it would fit – but the gap where the stove fits does not have parallel walls fore and aft. So where the gimbals are located, it was too tight to fit.

Note the problem was not getting the stove itself to fit, it was the spacing required for their gimbal kit. The Dickinson gimbal brackets are quite wide (fore-aft), and could easily be replaced with something with a more suitable to the Nic 38 galley arrangement. Then a gimballed Caribbean would fit no problem.

If you are interested, I could take some photos on our next boat day and get more specifics on the gimbal mechanism.

We removed our Valiant water heater and did not replace it as now we sail in a warm climate with ample sun to heat a solar shower bag. Glad to have the space in the galley for storage. Also, we glassed over where the vent opened into the cockpit port side – it’s equally nice to have that space available for our chart plotter mount without worrying about heat and condensation.

Marilyn, moderator

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.