Neco drive motor brushes

Welcome Back Forums Gadgets and Gizmos Electronics Neco drive motor brushes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Voltair
    Participant

May your time spent imitating a small monkey be repaid with a positive result!

Ronar M
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry, I don’t have a source of brushes but I do have a Neco problem & it sounds as if you have some experience of them. Last year I took the steering system apart to get the large gearbox in the aft locker overhauled. Stupidly I did not lash the wheel or mark the position of the various sections of the steering tubes. When it was all back together the steering was much improved but the autohelm would do no more than send us round in circles. I have sussed out that the limit switches need to be reset and have the original installation booklet to tell me what to do. However, the limit switches are behind a cover which faces the forward bulkhead of the port cockpit locker. I am assuming that the resetting of these switches must be done with the unit in situ and can’t see how I can get at them except by cutting a big hole in the bulkhead from inside the deep locker next to the galley sink. Do you have any experience of this or do you have any other suggestions on how to get this done? Thanks, Trevor

Voltair
    Participant

Hi Trevor – sorry – haven’t looked at the website for while. What we did when changing units was simply to get everything (wheel, rudder, insides of the Neco gearbox which contains the contacts) in the straight ahead condition, and then assemble it in that condition, with the chain put on without moving the gearbox or drive tube. And it worked first time. I never had to adjust a limit switch at all. John K

Ronar M
    Participant

I have now done the job but have not had time to try it out at sea. We used a 4″ hole cutter and drilled through from the deep locker next to the galley sink having made careful measurements first. The hole was bang in line with the Neco cover and gave access to the limit switches. Using a mirror we were able to see the limit switches in operation. We centred the rudder and then detached the steering gear (in the locker under the port side bunk in the after cabin). We were then able to find the port and starboard limits by turning the wheel and from this work out the central position before re-attaching the steering. Hope it works!
    Trevor

Voltair
    Participant

May your time spent imitating a small monkey be repaid with a positive result!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.