Insurance

Welcome Back Forums Other Uncategorized Insurance

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alexina
    Participant

It’s renewal time for Alexina and we are struggling with deciding which insurer to go with.

In the past we went with Haven Knox Johnston but changed last year to Pantaenius as HKJ wanted a full survey, loads of extra money and at least three experienced adult crew members for the Atlantic crossing (I would much rather have ten year old Tiger on board in a crisis than some “experienced” adults I know).

We have been happy with Pants but now we plan to stay in the Grenada for the hurricane season and are unhappy with their “Hurricane Clause” (25% deductible).

Our cruising area is the Caribbean and the East Coast of the USA.

Alexina is valued at £51,000. Pants have offered £1,300. Admiral have declined to quote as Alexina is too old and of insufficient value. AMIS Jackline have offered £1950. We are still in discussion with BWI thanks to a confusion over $ and £.

Does anyone have any positive experiences with insurance companies for the Caribbean area?

Just a thought, now that we have a website and a burgee (ours is under construction), does anyone have experience with negotiating special deals for insurance for Yacht Clubs or Associations?

Peter

valere
    Participant

Hi there!

Great to see an existing post on insurance. How did you get on with the insurance in the Caribbean in the end? I see this post is a little mature now… However, I recently procured a Nic 32 and hoping to complete insurance with Pantaenius (in your footsteps). What was the extent of your insurance when insured with them? I am undecided whether to include the Marine legal expenses option?
    For now I have requested a quote that includes the standard hull insurance as well as the Third Party liabilities option. The Marine legal expenses comes in addition to this, and seems perhaps “over the top”?

Best regards,
    Erling

Ronar M
    Participant

Hi Erling

Try Traffords Limited, 7 Doolittle Yard, Froghall Road, Ampthill, Bedford MK45 2NW UK. Phone (0)1525 717185. email: info@traffords-insurance.co.uk

I have found them very reasonable and cheaper than most. They boast lower prices because they do not maintain a posh London office etc.

Cheers, Trevor

Admin
    Keymaster

I’ve been using Topsail for the last few years without problem. Try contacting Daniel Groves (info from mail sig):

Daniel Groves | Topsail Insurance Ltd.
    4-6 Octagon Offices, Waterfront, Brighton Marina, Brighton, BN2 5WB
    Direct Dial. + 44 (0) 1273 573 720
    Phone. + 44 (0) 1273 573 727
    Fax. + 44 (0) 1273 679 261
    Email. Daniel.groves@topsailinsurance.co.uk

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.