Emergency Tiller

Welcome Back Forums Propulsion Steering and Rudder Emergency Tiller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Phil Shotton
    Participant

Can someone please post a picture of their emergency tiller that fits on the top of the rudder post revealed after removing the cap on the aft deck? I don’t appear to have one on Ronar M and would like to see what I need to make.

Thanks

Keymaster

I don’t have a photo now, but will take one when on the boat again later this week.

The emergency tiller is a curved galvanized tube, about 3 cm in diameter and about 1.5 meters long. I didn’t recognize its use on first appearance. We store ours in the aft locker.

Reportedly it’s tough to use – and I can believe it. Just thinking about using it from the aft deck  inspires me to want to keep the steering gear well serviced.

marilyn

Keymaster

Ok, here are the pictures. Note that the movement when using this emergency tiller is very active. In other words, rotating the tiller by several centimeters causes the wheel at the helm to spin rapidly.

Emergency Tiller in Position

Showing the cross section of the end fitting:

Hope that helps.

Marilyn, moderator

Phil Shotton
    Participant

That’s super, thanks Marilyn. Now I know what I’m looking for I’ve found the tiller at the bottom of the lazarette. I will find a new location for it, more accessible in an emergency, although I think the steering system looks pretty bulletproof.

Phil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.